Positions for the 2018-2019 Year:
Positions available: 2
We host university Capstone and service-learning students to help us deliver our Nature Connection program and school field trips which serve youths in grades K-6.
As an environmnetal education intern, you'll work with experienced Audubon naturalist educators to gain hands-on training and experience teaching inquiry-based outdoor and environmental education for culturally, linguistically, and economically diverse youth. Using Seward Park as our 277-acre classroom, you'll learn how to facilitate engaging science learning activities, nature-based games, sensory awareness building, teambuilding, and outdoor survival strategies. As part of your training, you will develop naturalist interpretation skills for educating the public about native plants, birds, mammals, invertebrates, geology, and conservation action. Included in your K-6 teaching experience are additional opportunities for you to work with toddlers, middle schoolers, high school teens, and adults; including opportunities for community-based outreach events and participating in non-profit operations and administration.
We seek college students with the following qualifications:
- Some prior education in environmental studies, ecology, biology, early childhood education, child development, 4H facilitation, or other related field
- Some prior experience working with kids between ages 2-18
- Passion for the outdoors, natural history, and sharing it with others
- Ability to walk/hike up to 2 miles on uneven terrain
- Ability to implement established environmental science curriculum
- Ability to lead groups of up to 25 students for 1 to 3 hours
- Ability to commit to a regular schedule and arrive on time
- Access to transportation to and from Seward Park Audubon Center and neighborhood schools
- Spanish, Somali, ASL, or other dual-language skills helpful but not required
If you are interested in pursuing internship opportunities with Seward Park Audubon Center, students may contact Ed Dominguez at email@example.com or look for internship postings through University of Washington, Seattle University, and Antioch University.